Friday, November 14, 2014

The Power of Words

     Have you ever heard a song and knew exactly where you were when you first heard it? My mom claims to remember where she was when she first heard a the Beatles song, "All My Loving," February 9, 1964. She was about 12 years old at that time and often sat on the living room floor watching the Ed Sullivan Show. I had to check and see if they had the clip online from that night and found it here. What's crazy about this particular episode is that their set included, All My Loving, Till There Was You, She Loves You, I Saw Her Standing There, and I Want to Hold Your Hand. It sounds like a greatest hits album. As a matter of fact, most of these songs are on a compilation album called "1"(which is an album dedicated to their number one hits) and can be found here.
     When my mom said she could remember that day, I could see why it's never left her memory. Not only was it historic, but music and words have a way of nestling deep within our memory. This is usually a really good thing. When someone shares some encouraging words or some sincere flattery, it's very nice to hear. It makes you feel good inside. Sometimes it will stay with us for the rest of the day affecting our attitude and mood. But there can be a downside to remembering certain words. Especially when they are discouraging, disapproving, or insulting.
     Over my lifetime I can say with confidence that I have been flattered far more than insulted. "Must be nice," right (Yes, it is!)? In fact I've been reflecting quite a bit on the past several years and realized that I'm living in a time where I've never been so encouraged by those around me. I leave many conversations feeling grateful and satisfied. It's a very sweet time of life, but for some reason my mind drifts back in time and I find myself holding onto some hurtful words. Most of the complaints I receive typically roll right off my back. I'm not one to take offense to negative or critical comments. I know my imperfections. I know that I am a work in progress. So, I typically receive those comments and try to figure out how to get better. But every once and while there are comments that have left a negative impact on me because of the details of those comments, the circumstance, and the person who delivered those difficult words.
     What are the most difficult words someone has said to you (true or not)? Whatever they were I'm sure they still hurt a little (or a lot). You can remember exactly where you were when they were said. You can probably remember the environment, the time of day, and maybe even the smell of the room (it's crazy how our minds work). I find myself dwelling on one particular instance (I won't share it here) and it leaves me feeling sad. I'm not sad because I believe those words anymore (nor did I ever), but because those words were symbolic of how the relationship ended (I would gladly share the details with anyone who asks). Words have such a powerful impact and influence on the way we see ourselves, the way we interact with others, and how we live our life. Many people are stuck underneath the weight of some words that were said about them (or to them) leaving them in a state of debilitation. I remember someone telling me when I first started preaching and teaching, "For every flattering word you hear after a sermon you must keep in mind that there are people who hated it. They're just not telling you." I'm not sure I believe that as a rule, but it's a good reminder that I can't please everyone and I know it's not my job to do so either.
     What I've learned through all of this is that it will be very difficult to forget certain words and events I experience in this life (good or bad). They're stamped in my memory forever. But what's helped me get through it is knowing that it doesn't have to influence the way I live my life. It doesn't have to overwhelm my thoughts. I don't have to bear the weight of those circumstances, words, or people. I will probably never forget those moments, but I can tell you that I have made really great memories recently that make that time seem a little more distant each day. It's not about erasing (that's not my job anyway) or trying to pretend it never happened, but it's about making new memories that are a part of the bigger picture.
     The Apostle Paul once said, "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ" (Philippians 1:6). There are many good memories/experiences to be made and there is a big picture that we all must keep in sight. God is continuing His work in you and He's doing the same in me. We will have good and bad memories. But those memories do not determine our lives....they only tell of where we've been. I look forward with a great hope to where God is taking me in this season of life. I pray that you can rest in that same hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment