Friday, November 21, 2014

Another Post About a Song

     What’s your favorite song of all time? That’s a really difficult question to answer, isn’t it? Because if it’s your favorite song then it must mean that you’ve listened to it so much that you may have grown a little tired of it. I never knew that I could have so much disdain for a song until I had children. Because of this we have implemented a rule that we do not play any children’s songs in our home (it’s more of an unspoken rule). I know what you might be thinking, “we’re depriving our kids,” but I don’t see it that way. I like to think that we’re saving them from impending rage or fury (that’s not meant to be funny).
     Just recently our youngest decided to resurrect the worst song ever written. I won’t even mention it here because I might relapse and find myself curled up on the floor in the fetal position (again). Isn’t it interesting how songs have such an influence on us (good or bad)? Some songs incite anger or disdain and others stir in us this excitement or inspiration.  A song often draws us in with its “catchiness” immediately hooks us. It could be a great beat, a nice tone of voice, a great riff, or a clever way they penned some words. But the best songs often have something really profound to say. Many times it has something to do with a relationship. It often includes themes like love, heartbreak, partying, and then love again.
     I was reviewing the Billboard’s Hot 100 songs of this year so far and many of these songs have the common themes I just mentioned. Just take a look at the top 5 this week:

Blank Space (T-Swift)
All About That Bass (Meghan Trainor)
Shake It Off (T-Swift again)
Animals (Maroon 5)
Habits (Tove Lo)

Each of these songs deals with love, heartbreak, partying, or all of the above.  If you ask any teenager or young person what their favorite song is chances are they’ll name one of these songs (unless they listen to country and in that case nobody cares). Is it the catchy beat? Maybe. Is it the excitement of the song? Possibly. Is it the message the artist is communicating? Likely. Is it the profound words the artists have forged deep within the soul in hopes to connect with the listener? Probably not.
     I’m not here to bash these songs or the artists. I actually like most of these songs, but they’re definitely not my favorite (nor will they ever be…..although I do like Maroon 5 a lot but that’s beside the point).  For a song to become a favorite for me it has to have layers. What I mean is that it can’t simply be a song that addresses what happens on the surface of a relationship or in life. I want a song with depth. I want a song that challenges me to think. I want a song that speaks truth even if it hurts. I want a little pain and a little agony. Not because I like those things, but because then I feel like I can trust what they’re saying. One of my favorites is not really a song that I sing a lot, but it’s one found in the Book of Psalms.
“For troubles without number surround me; my sins have overtaken me, and I cannot see. They are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart fails within me.” (Psalm 40:12)
     Doesn’t that make your heart all warm inside (wink face)? No! Absolutely not! At least not for me it doesn’t. I don’t know anyone who’s begging to cover that song. I never hear songs like this sung at karaoke night. No one is requesting to play that kind of song on any radio station. In my years of leading worship, no one has ever asked me to sing the one about where my sins have outnumbered me and have completely overwhelmed me in such a way that I can’t even see.
     Why is that? That’s what I asked myself the other day. Why is it that we often avoid these types of songs? After thinking about it at length I came to the conclusion that one reason might be that it’s too raw. What I mean is that songs like this seem to address the honest state of our hearts and souls and we’re not always comfortable with that. It’s often something we try to avoid altogether because we’ve become really good at pretending, masking, or numbing what’s really going on inside. The psalmist is honest, raw, open, and likely one step closer to freedom. Free from pretense. Free from the bondage of “having it all together.”
     I don’t think best songs need to sound great or have the catchy beat. I don’t think the best songs need to be the most popular. I think the best songs for me are the ones that tell a story. An honest story. One that resonates with humanity at a deeper level than what’s on the surface. It doesn’t have to say all the right words. It doesn’t even need to be catchy. It’s likely that it won’t be anywhere close to that. It just needs to be real. It just needs to be honest. The very best songs remind us that we’re not alone and that there is hope. It’s essentially the gospel story of redemption.
     There are many songs that fit that description, but I’ll leave you with one. I recently discovered this artist who I don’t know all that much about, but there is something about his songs that make me believe him. When he sings I can trust him because his words are honest. They may not always be reality, but at least he’s honest. Which is where I believe true life transformation begins. (Noah Gundersen)

No comments:

Post a Comment