Friday, October 17, 2014

Things Are Shaping Up

"What we know not, teach us. What we have not, give us. What we are not, make us." - Allistair Begg

     Last week I had the privilege attending a conference at Azusa Pacific University for local pastors in the surrounding communities. It was there we were fortunate to hear from many great speakers, but the one I think most people came to hear was a pastor named Allistair Begg.
     I was first exposed to Beg when listening to another one of my favorite speakers on a podcast. He kept referencing this guy Allistair Begg. Having no previous knowledge of Him, I tuned into one of his podcasts on Truth For Life. Begg was born in Glassgow, Scotland and carries a very strong accent even though He has pastored and lived in Ohio for over 30 years. But all this information is meaningless to me. What makes me value this man is his incredible way of turning theological complex thought into simple and profound statements.
     It was at this conference where I heard him pray the phrase, "What we know not, teach us. What we have not, give us. What we are not, make us." I think my mind blew at that moment. The phrase had only eighteen words, yet there was so much depth. It was honest, simple, and profound all rolled into one. I loved it so much that it's been what I've been praying over this last week where I've made some discoveries that I would like to share.
     "What we know not, teach us." This phrase is so good! It acknowledges that we don't know everything. Duh, right? Actually it's not that simple. In light of some events that happened this week with a certain pastor in Seattle, I don't think it's easy to acknowledge that we may be a know-it-all. What I believe to be the downfall for many people in a high level leadership position is the fact that they don't surround themselves with real accountability and honest mentors. There is a great value in sitting under a teacher. Sometimes that teacher is God. Sometimes it's His word. Other times it's people you've given permission to call you out on things you don't see in yourself. We all need it.
     "What we have not, give us." Boom! We often have not because we ask not. I think I've heard that somewhere before. This doesn't mean that God's a genie and wants us to rub His lamp so that He can grant us wishes. What this means for me is that maybe I'm asking for the wrong things. So often I want to know God's plans. I want to be in on the planning sessions. I want to be able to collaborate with Him. But what I've realized is that the only reason I want that is so that I can somehow have control. Recently, God has given me some things that I do not deserve. I have wanted them for a very long time. But He didn't give them to me until this year. God's word says that God is a good Father that knows how to give good gifts. This is 100 percent true.....but only in hindsight. When I'm crying out in need, when I'm screaming out in desperation, when I've shaved my head and thrown ashes all around (it's quite the sight) I don't agree that He's a good Father or a good gift-giver. But it's because I'm too close to all my turmoil. It's only when I look back that I can see that His timing is perfect. That His gifts are perfect.
     "What we are not, make us." This has been the most difficult to deal with for me lately. I feel like I'm still in the midst understanding it. I am well aware of what I am not. As a matter of fact I feel it everyday. I'm not one to be so consumed by thoughts of weight management, but it's most certainly been on my mind lately. To add insult to injury, I was talking to Siri (on my iPhone) and she must have misheard me, but she asked me the greatest question she could ever ask: "So you want me to call you Fat Ass?" If I weren't laughing hysterically I might have cried a little. This hilarious response from Siri made me think a little about what I am not. Although some of those thoughts might be superficial, they are still real thoughts. So, lately, I've been praying that they wouldn't be. But in addition to that, I've been doing something about it too. Many people think that once you've prayed for a situation to change you pack it up and let God do the rest. I don't think that lines up with what the bible teaches at all. I see reference after reference where Jesus and His followers would not only pray for God's will, but then do whatever it takes to do His will. It seems like a pretty good plan to follow, doesn't it?
     I don't know if this post will meet you somewhere on your faith journey. My hope is that it does. My hope is that you know that you're not alone in this. My hope is that you also understand that God is not done with you. Keep learning, keep asking, and keep being shaped into who He wants you to be. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment