Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pet Peeves

Pet Peeves

There are many things in this world that bother me. I know this sounds like a strange sentence to begin with, but hear me out. I am known (by my wife) as a chronic complainer. I complain about way too many things including things that are unnecessary. I don’t know where I learned this, but I am trying very hard to stop. Nevertheless, I’ve compiled a list of things I complain about that I believe are valid and the majority reading this blog would agree. So, for pure fun and enjoyment I decided to post some of my pet peeves. Some I’m more known for, others are probably new to you and now you’re going to be self-conscious around me because some of you may or may not do these things. Either way it’s all in fun and I’m sure I’ll hear your complaints later.


This list is not in rank order.

  • Using the word “quote” instead of “quotation” (e.g. “Allow me to read this quote from the L.A. Times.” The proper use is, “Allow me to read this quotation from the L.A Times.”) If you don’t believe me just look it up.
  • Using the word “podium” when you mean “lectern”. Strictly speaking, a podium is a raised platform on which you stand to give a speech; the piece of furniture on which you place your notes and behind which you stand is called a lectern. I know we have culturally accepted the former to mean the latter, but now that I know the difference I can’t help but be bothered when someone uses it incorrectly. Sorry.
  • Incorrect spelling of “grammer” instead of “grammar” (also, “incert” instead of “insert”…..this one just seems ridiculous, but I’ve seen it way too many times).
  • Writing the word “your” when you mean “you’re” (i.e. you are a moron!).
  • Throwing an additional “s” for possessive nouns ending with an “s”. (e.g. Silas’s instead of Silas’)
  • I’m guilty of this one more often than not, but it bugs me when I do it.
  • “Really realize”….I just despise this phrase (e.g. “I really realize that I sound like an idiot when I say such ridiculous things.” Instead, just say, “I realize now that I would sound like an idiot if I were to say such nonsense.”).
  • Using any percentage beyond 100% (e.g. “They always give 110%.” It is impossible for anyone do such a thing so stop saying it!)
  • Saying things like, “ATM machine” or “PIN number”.
  • Relying on someone else to take a picture of you with you camera and it ends up off centered and out of focus.
  • Messy sick people. Sick people are bad enough, but messy sick people make me angry……..ok….maybe not angry, but I definitely want to punch you in the face. :)
  • People who preface an offensive statement by saying the phrase, “I’m not trying to be mean but…(insert offensive statement).”
  • People who leave messages on voicemail like, “call me back.” I would have but now I’m not just for leaving such a ridiculous message.
  • Using the made up word “supposebly” instead of “supposedly”. (Really?)
  • People who type in CAPS. Why must you YELL?
  • Any telemarketer….for reasons that don’t need explanations.
  • Amateur cell phone drivers (I know it’s illegal but still!).
  • People who think your time is their time too.
  • Pedestrians who carelessly walk in the street and think my car won’t injure or cause them bodily harm. Last time I checked large machinery beats human beings every time.
  • Websites with horizontal scrolling (so stupid).
  • When the cashier gives you the change with the coins on top of the bills and for a moment you look like a fool jamming a large wad of nonsense into your pocket. (This one bothers me a great deal.)
  • People who do not know how to use a self-checkout stand.
  • Bad breath (I can’t help it if my nose is sensitive).
  • People who don’t tip well. (Emphasis on “well”.)
  • People who are habitually late. Late every once in a while is fine, but when you’re known for being late it’s a different story.
  • People who don’t rinse before putting their dish in the sink. (Lazy!)
  • People who always try to bring your conversation back to them, their life, or their kids.
  • When the “door close” button in the elevator doesn’t really close the door. What’s the point?
  • People who cut in lines where no one is holding their spot. I’m fine if you want to join your friends in line, but blatantly cutting in line with no regard for those behind you is rude.
  • People who don’t stop talking. (Seriously….breath!)
  • Salespeople who approach you in the parking lot. What’s up with that, stalker? Why must they approach you like they are selling drugs? I don’t want that $4 Kit Kat bar!

I have more but I thought I’d stop at 30 since who has the time to read all of these anyway. If you have some I’d love to hear what bugs you. If you are offended in anyway by this post, please move your cursor towards the top right corner of your screen and click the “X” or for mac users, the red button or "X" on the upper left corner. Hopefully it will solve all of your problems. Have a nice day!

1 comment:

  1. "Relying on someone else to take a picture of you with you camera and it ends up off centered and out of focus."
    -oh the memories of youth group days and lessons on "how to take pictures with isaiah's camera."

    "People who type in CAPS. Why must you YELL?"
    -this reminded me of late IM conversations in jr high and high school.

    "When the “door close” button in the elevator doesn’t really close the door. What’s the point?"
    -A friend and I were JUST talking about that yesterday as we pushed the "door close" button on the elevator and it didn't work!

    I was going to comment on all of them, but that would take forever, and most of them I already knew, and that made me happy. Also, I'm procrastinating on homework and since i read these posts as they appear on the website (most recent posts being at the top) may I mention that in one of your later blogs you say "here me out" instead of "hear me out?" Lastly, I forgot to write this all in caps, and I'm too lazy to go back and do it now. =)

    ReplyDelete