Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Kara = Paula?

I realize that I'm limiting my reader interest with this post, but I think it's pertinent due to the statement by our newest judge on American Idol, Kara Dioguardi. I understand that as a judge you required to share your insight and your opinion about how each contestant performed. Of course, we can always rely on Paula to share some discombobulated comment, but Kara is beginning to sound more like Paula and less like someone we actually care to give ear.

The particular comment she made last night made absolutely no sense (very Paula-like). The contestant's (Danny Gokey) rendition of "Jesus Take the Wheel" by Carrie Underwood was one of the better performance of the night in my opinion and needed little criticism if any. Kara's comment was something like, "Danny, when you hit those big notes you're like no other", "I wish I had 10 minutes of that and none of the other".

So, Kara....let's get this straight...you want 10 minutes of someone belting out the big notes the entire song? That's the stupidest thing I've heard you say. What about setting the song up? What about "lower" or "softer" moments of the song to lead up to those big moments? What about the story?

I could really go on for seconds about this, but it got me thinking(insert sarcastic comment), "What if we followed Kara's advice for everything? What if there were nothing but 10 minutes of big moments and nothing else?"
  • Would all roller coasters consist of 10 minutes of straight free fall plummets?
  • Would firework shows be a 10 minute long finale?
  • Would movies be 10 minutes filled with every emotion you could possibly fit in that time frame? (I'm sure someone would have a seizure or heart attack after viewing)
  • Would weddings be 10 minutes? (hey, not such a bad idea)
  • Would sermons be 10 minutes? (in your dreams....I'll work on that one)
It's like having a song with one long bridge and chorus, sung over and over without any story and without any verses that actually makes the song the perfect package. She, being a songwriter, should understand this more than any of the other judges. I digress.

Any other scenarios where if you take this extreme suggestion from Kara, you end up with a ridiculous/better/worse outcome? This might get very interesting. :)

1 comment:

  1. If think you could make our wedding 10 minutes. Hahahahaha. I can't stand Kara, bro. She has nothing good to say, and she's really annoying. I actually thought that Simon was the best judge as far as his comments go.

    ReplyDelete