Friday, February 27, 2015

Check The Label

     Are you a person that checks labels? Maybe you check the label when shopping for clothes. It irritates me when I grab an item of clothing and it’s mislabeled (stupid slim fit!). Maybe you check food labels to be sure that your consumption doesn’t send you into anaphylactic shock. My brother once ate a bowl of fruit (note: he is allergic to most fruit) and his entire face swelled up like the scene from the movie Hitch starring Will Smith. It was a pretty scary situation but mostly because he looked like a warthog and he was scaring the children nearby and not because he was struggling to breath (that was only slightly scary).
     Labels can be really irritating sometimes too. Especially when they’re made from that scratchy burlap sack material. It shocks me to see that there are still some clothes that have what seems like a giant Costco receipt on the inside of your shirt. Thank goodness for tag less clothing! Although there are times when labels are annoying, they can certainly serve us well with helpful and often necessary information. They sort of serve as an identity marker or a way in which we can distinguish its contents or care.
     Identity is a funny thing when it comes to people. We have an identity that distinguishes every human being via DNA or fingerprints, but then we have identities that are much more collective and form the basis of our self-concept (a collection of gender identity, sexuality, racial identity, academic performance, etc). But as much as we are aware of how we perceive ourselves we are not always aware of how God sees us.
     Romans 8:15-17 reminds those who have come to a belief or faith in God that there are several important things that need to be repeated. The passage says that we are adopted as children of God, and if we’re children then we are heirs. That means we in are inheritors. But inheritors of what? Christ’s pain but also His beauty and splendor. Meaning, we share not only the pain He went through, but we share the pain we will have to go through (and we’re probably really familiar with our struggles). But it doesn’t end there. The passages reads that we will also share in His glory or beauty or splendor. Meaning, that we no longer need to identify ourselves by our mistakes or wrongdoings. We no longer need to identity ourselves by our failure and addiction. We no longer need to identify ourselves with inadequacy or devoid of any worth. God calls us His children. He gives us a new identity. An identity in Christ as sons and daughters.
     I kind of see it like this: I have two children. The moment I found out we were going to have them my heart leapt with joy. As I held them each as they were ushered into this world I realized that no words could ever describe the way that I felt in that moment. I knew right then and there that I would do anything for them. I knew I would give my life for them, but I also knew I would do whatever it takes to protect theirs as well (even if it meant me taking some fools out!).
     What’s laughable now is that these kids had done nothing to earn my love. In fact, they still haven’t done anything that would warrant the love I have for them. If they’ve done anything it’s give me reason to question my love for them (which I haven’t by the way). They’ve cost me money, sleep, patience, time, money, and sleep. They bring nothing to the table in regards to pulling their weight in our household (although the oldest is pulling weeds now so there’s that). They haven’t purchased a single gift without the help of their mother and yet my love has never wavered. Why do you think that is? Well, I have no other reason that I can come up with other than the fact that they are simply mine. They are special to me no matter if no one else feels the way I do. They brought me tears of joy when before I met them and they bring me tears of joy when I think of them now. They don’t know this yet, but the day they became my children I gave them an identity. They became my children. They became my gifts that I would always love and always protect. Their value to me is priceless. It’s really unbelievable to me that I feel the way I do about them. What’s fascinating about this entire experience is that it’s given me perspective, I believe, on how God sees and feels about me. I know it is only a glimpse, but it is definitely a glorious one that I need to be reminded of time and time again.
     My identity, your identity, our identity is not only a collection of DNA, fingerprints, or beliefs about ourselves, but more importantly it’s the way God sees and feels about us. The only label we need to check is the one God places on us. We are His children and we belong to Him. We are special to Him so much so that He gave His life for us. He will fight for us to protect us because we are priceless to Him.
     I don’t know about you, but I need to hear that. Not because I doubt His love for me all these years, but because I forget. Maybe you’ve forgotten who you are. I pray you see the love of God that’s been lavished on you and may you be found not in the collection of what you believe about yourself, but in the God who loves you and has loved you long before you were born.

No comments:

Post a Comment