Monday, November 16, 2009

The Grass Won't Water Itself


I'm often reminded of this phrase each time I cross my lawn. Growing up I didn't really do much watering since we had sprinklers that did the work for us. Occasionally, the sprinklers wouldn't reach a certain part of the grass and that part was taken care of by my mom or dad who would spend time deliberately watering the dry area.

At my current residence I don't have sprinkler per se, but I have one of those "above-ground-wet-your-car-and-not-really-water-all-that-well" sprinklers. It wouldn't be so bad if, when the timer shut off, the water pressure wouldn't cause the faucet to leak a ridiculous amount of water thus causing the bill to rise to an equally ridiculous amount. So...I have to water it manually. I despise this process since it takes time to spend each day, or every other, to deliberately do that which most homes and most people don't think twice about it as their timers take care of everything. Needless to say, my grass isn't the greenest....as a matter of fact, it's not even the yellowest. All that being said I am, without explanation, thankful for the rain. The rain does that which I'm usually too lazy (or forgetful) to do. I'm always amazed how green the grass becomes after the rain and I think to myself, "Wow! Water really does help!"

I was reading Isaiah 55 because my wife mentioned it the other day to me and so I decided to spend some time in my namesake (not really, but I like to pretend it is). Verse 8 and 9 are probably familiar to most people who have been around church, but it was the following verses that caught my attention.

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." - Isaiah 55:10-11

After reading this, I was reminded how often my good intentions fail. I intend every time I cross my lawn to water it so that it will be green and grow (and so that my landlords don't get upset). Like the rain and snow, the earth cannot help but be nourished by it. My lawn can't help but be rejuvenated and filled with vibrant life and newness the water brings.

There are many thoughts and parallels that I could probably use for my life, but in a time where I'm trying to be more patient and trying to figure all that God is doing around me, there's a better understanding the previous verses now bring.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." - Isaiah 55:8-9

I don't have it all together. There, I've said it. I'm not always responsible (observed by my yellow lawn). Half of the time I'm not even sure I'm doing the right thing. These verses don't excuse irresponsibility, but rather remind me of how important it is to be deliberate about taking care of that which I can, and letting God do the rest (which is most of it anyway). I can water that lawn all I want, but ultimately it's God who makes it grow. It's humbling to know He's way smarter than I'll ever be, but equally humbling that He would use someone as messed up as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment