Wednesday, August 12, 2009

It's a Good Day!

Prefeace: I'm prefacing this because it may seem a bit scattered brained. I wrote it in two sittings and I didn't want to delete the first half.....so......yeah. If it doesn't make sense then oh well.

I remember back in December of 2007, Jess and I had just returned from a trip to Mexico with her family and it must have been the next morning when she woke me and had a this huge smile on her face an uttered the words, "It's a good day!" What a loaded statement! I immediately thought, "Crap! I forgot something I was supposed to remember." But then she said it again, "It's a good day" and she held up what looked like, through my blurred vision, a thermometer. I had to keep blinking for the image to actually register in my head. It was a positive pregnancy test.

We had been trying to get pregnant for what seemed like two years, but she would say a year and a half. We had come to the conclusion, albeit a difficult one, that we may not have kids. We were finally getting to the point where we were both fine with whatever God wanted for us even if that meant not having any children. So, to have this blurry wand waving in my face and being told it was a good day was one of the best surprises ever.

This made me think back to that day and how happy we both were. What I realized though was that we were already happy. It wasn't until we were both satisfied with whatever God willed for our lives did He give us one of the best gifts, my son. I asked one of the girls at Panera how her day was going and she gave me this audible sigh and rolled eyes look. Needless to say she wasn't happy. I didn't get into any lengthy discussion about her job, but I could tell she didn't want to be there anymore. It made me think of how often I let my circumstances dictate the way I feel and the way I live. I was pretty disappointed at first when I thought we'd never have kids, but I realized that sometimes that happens. I'm pretty disappointed when they don't have my hazelnut coffee brewing. Shoot, I'm pretty upset when there is no more Splenda! But it shouldn't be a reason for me not to enjoy the life God has given me. People like to disassociate there spiritual lives with their real lives and I don't understand it. God has given me life abundantly and I'm to enjoy every bit of it because I see it all as a gift from Him. Even my frustration, and disappointments.....they're all from Him. I've realized that sometimes God's will looks nothing like mine until my heart and mind is ready to submit to His. I've realized also that sometimes my life looks nothing like Jesus' because I'm using my eyes for perspective as oppose to His.

I'll never forget that day Jess told me that it was a good day because it was.........but so is every other day because God made it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment